Saturday 23 December 2017

Shobhana Rao (Mini Krishnaswamy)



As I sit at Cinnamon Cafe
An oasis in the heart of Bengaluru
Listening to ‘Hotel California‘
Sipping a Kashmiri kahwa 
A wave of nostalgia sweeps over me 
And I make a rendezvous with my memories

"Chance and choice make you who you are” said Simone du Beauvoir 

Dunlop happened to me in much the same way as it did to you,
By CHANCE

Glamourous and chic, smart and funny
From ‘Abhi Na Jao Chhod kar‘ to Rasputin
Be it Holi, Diwali or Christmas, revelry was the name of the game.
If you think your life is a party, baby, you ain’t seen nothing at all
Coffee mornings, weekly Bingo, daily pegs, annual Christmas events ..
Each occasion called for a special celebration!


Holi, 
colourful, playful and lively,
The sharp pain of the water balloons
The gentle smearing of aabir 
The cat and mouse chase 
Till one surrenders ..
Uncles and boys both eyeing for a chance to flirt!

Let’s hop, skip and jump over the unpleasant summers
Straight into the mother of all festivities

The iconic Pujo and Diwali 
Nothing I can say can ever do justice to this time of the year

From the Mahalaya call to the Nobomi dhol to the Bijoya
Nadu prosad, to the Divine Khichudi and Begun bhaja
Such gastronomic ecstasy!
Durga Maa, thank you for such kindness.




The fading dhol beats, and cool nip in the air
I, expectant and comforted
Eager and joyful that
Diwali was here.
’Twas my turn to get new outfits 
We had to keep the South Indian traditions, my maa would say!

The pure joy of choosing the Tubris, rockets, charkis, dodomas in Burrabazar.
And then, 
Sunning the loot in the sun verandah..
Will you ever understand, I tell my kids,
When less meant a lot?

My house would fill up with the aroma of Amma’s 
obbatus, laddus, and mixture.
Come evening, a million twinkling candles would light our lives.
What a sight it was to behold!

Who can forget the joy of the Christmas parties,
Eagerly awaited and keenly contested
With fancy dress competitions, innovative games, and the most exotic of snacks
Bold and beautiful, Ms. Dunlop 
And the ever-jovial Subroto Uncle as Santa
I can vividly recall.

Cut to the present, Bengaluru,
the city of my choice

Here I am, about to turn 50
Feeling alive yet peaceful,
Loving every minute,
Staying true to myself,
Unapologetic for my choices
I’ve come a long way, I tell myself, from Bandel to Bengaluru.

Cheers to this incredible journey that I am extremely fortunate to be a part of
Surrounded by the love of my husband, children, parents, brother, friends past and present,
I feel truly blessed and grateful.
There is no better time than now to be grateful for the past.
For all the aunties and uncles who crafted my childhood 
A very, very big thank you, from me to you

Bandel and Bengaluru,

Hope I’ve made you as proud as I am of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subhasish Banerji

DUNLOP SAHAGANJ A Nostalgic journey down memory lane I joined Dunlop India’s Sahaganj factory in Sept. 1971, and was living at Lat...