Saturday 23 December 2017

Soma De Roy


Reminiscences mean fond memories. Yes during the period from 1978 to 1991, long 13 years, I have many nostalgic, loving memories of my life during my stay in Dunlop Estate, Sahaganj. It is really difficult for me to describe those thirteen years in a nutshell. At this age of 60 years I am making this attempt to summarize this span with some memorable incidences.
It started in 1978 when I was deported from Ambassador (Hindustan Motors) to the place of tyres (Dunlop). The transformation from Soma Sarkar to Soma De Roy and landed in a rented house in Keota, Latbagan. Then within a few months shifted to Dunlop Estate to the only 3 tala building (at that time) nearest to the main gate of the factory. I was extremely fortunate to have helpful and friendly neighbours like Agomonidi (Mrs. P P Gupta) and Mrs. P B Hazra, all staying in the same building. A novice like me became an expert housewife under their guidance and support. My little daughter (Rima) arrived in 1981.
In the Estate we have changed our flat five times. We were always fortunate to have neighbours like Tutudi & Asokda, Probir Chatterjee & Mimi, Kolidi & Kanaida, Deepa and Tapanda to name a few. Apart from good neighbours we also had so many good friends surrounding us. As a result we never felt homesick. Our group is still very much attached due to the technology boom in IT. We still occasionally meet in get togethers in Kolkata. My closest friends are Chumki, Manju, Supta, Debjani, Ratna, Brotati, Jayanti, Ruchira, Seema,Soma, Kajol……to name a few. Many others also came in our life to fill it with treasures of friendship and happiness.
My teaching career started from Dunlop English Medium School under the guidance of Mrs Ghoshal and Gayatridi. I still remember those days in school with Karabidi, Manju, Rani, Rita D’Costa and Ratna Roy. Then I joined Vidya Vihar School in Bansberia and worked together with Mrs. Ruma Mitra and Mrs. Sahay. I am greatly indebted to Dunlop School for building the strong foundation in my future long teaching career in Gwalior.
In 1986 my son Shuvo arrived completing my family of four. Both my children studied in Dunlop School and was well groomed for their future life.
Being shy and introvert, I found it hard to socialize in the Dunlop crowd. I thank Dunlop Mahila Sangha to transform me slowly and effectively. I actively participated in different activities like organising Children’s Christmas Party, Fun Fair, contribution to Nirmala Niketan and so on. Life in Dunlop Estate was always full of enjoyment. I enjoyed the many pool parties and club parties.
As my husband was in the Technical Department, we used to participate in the annual Technical functions. I still remember the dance items which I had performed with Mrs. Banani Misra, Mrs. Dutta Gupta and Mrs. Ajoy Mitra. The melodious voice of Mrs. Ratna Roy still rings in my ears. Mr. Kalyan Biswas was a great guitarist and supported us in music. Mr. Utpal Choudhury was also a very good singer. We were greatly inspired by Bharatidi (Mrs. S B Ganguly) and Rinidi (Mrs. Aniruddha Sen).
I am really thankful to Dunlop Sahaganj as it has a great effect on me and my family. My children got a healthy and beautiful childhood and for me the best part of my life was in Dunlop which ended in 1991 due to unavoidable circumstances.

In the end I beg apology to my various friends whose names I have not mentioned in this small memoir. It is not that I have forgotten them but their omission is completely unintentional.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subhasish Banerji

DUNLOP SAHAGANJ A Nostalgic journey down memory lane I joined Dunlop India’s Sahaganj factory in Sept. 1971, and was living at Lat...